Criminal Justice Law Firms
Criminal Defense Attorney Santa Rosa CA
If you have recently been arrested, charged, or found yourself under investigation for any type of criminal offense, call Santa Rosa criminal defense attorney Johann Hall right away. With his experience defending criminal cases, attorney Johann Hall will zealously work to defend you against these charges.
Dealing with criminal charges of any kind brought against you can be difficult, so it is important to find an attorney who will not only listen to you but who will also help you carefully construct the best defense to your case that is available. You need an attorney who will fight for the type of resolution you desire, whether it is negotiating a favorable plea bargain, or taking your case all the way to trial.
Types of Criminal Cases
Attorney Johann Hall has experience handling a wide range of different types of criminal cases, including the following:
- Drug Offenses – Drug offenses frequently handled by our office include possession, cultivation, and intent to sell various illegal substances, including marijuana and medical marijuana.
- Driving-Related Offenses – Attorney Johann Hall has vast experiencing handling many different types of driving-related offenses, including driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol (DUI), reckless driving, and hit-and-run accidents.
- Theft Charges – Contact our office for representation on any type of theft charges, including retail theft, robbery, and burglary.
- White Collar Crimes – Attorney Johann Hall also has experience handling white collar crime cases, such as money laundering, insider trading, bribery, fraud, embezzlement, and labor racketeering.
- Sex Offense Cases – Our office also handles cases involving various sex offenses.
- Violence – Attorney Johann Hall has experience defending charges related to violence, such as domestic violence, assault, battery, gang crimes, and weapons-related offenses.
- Juvenile Offense – If your child has been accused of or charged with a crime, an experienced juvenile defense attorney can help you.
What Happens When You Have Been Charged with a Crime
Once you have been charged with a crime, you may be wondering what the court process may be like. The first step is typically an arraignment hearing. At this hearing, you will plead guilty or not guilty, but you also have the option of pleading “no contest,” in which event your case would proceed directly to the sentencing hearing.
The next step, after any issue with bail has been resolved, is the pretrial phase which will occur before your final hearing. This will include court appearances, motions, discovery, and plea negotiations before trial. The discovery process involves an exchange of evidence that will be submitted at trial by each side.
Preliminary Hearing – Felony Cases
In felony cases in California, there will be a preliminary hearing during which the state must demonstrate probable cause that a crime was committed and that you as the defendant committed that crime.
By law, anyone who is accused of committing a misdemeanor or a felony is entitled to a jury trial. In general, a jury trial will begin with jury selection and proceed to opening statements by each side. Next, both sides will be given the opportunity to present their evidence to the court. After that has concluded, each side will then have another opportunity to address the jury in their closing statement. The jury will deliberate, and if the jury finds the defendant guilty, then there will be a sentencing hearing held by the judge. If the defendant loses, it is possible to request a new trial on various legal grounds, or appeal the case to a higher court.
Call Santa Rosa Attorney Johann Hall today for your free consultation. He will help you aggressively fight your criminal charges, whether you have been accused of a misdemeanor or a felony.