accident attorney explains what every car accident victim should knowAccording to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there were 3,623 fatalities in the State of California in 2016 due to motor vehicle accidents. This number has been on the rise in recent years, with 3,102 auto-accident related fatalities in 2014 and 3,387 fatalities in 2015.

What You Should Know About Your Rights as a Car Accident Victim

If you have been a car accident victim, it is important to know your rights in the event you choose to pursue a personal injury case to get compensation for your injuries. Contact car accident lawyer Johann Hall today to discuss your potential case. Attorney Johann Hall has years of experience handling car accident cases. He will aggressively fight for the most favorable outcome for his clients.

What You Should Do After Being Involved in a Motor Vehicle Accident in California

Under California law, if you have been involved in an automobile accident, you must provide the other parties involved with your contact information. You may also need to provide your driver license number, the license plate number of your involved vehicle, and your auto insurance coverage information. If there were witnesses, it could also be useful to you to get their contact information in case they are needed in the future as witnesses in your civil case for personal injury damages.

It may also be helpful to you in the future to take pictures of your vehicle and any other vehicles involved in the collision while at the scene of the accident. These pictures may help your lawyer prove certain aspects of your personal injury case

What You Should Know About Reporting Your Accident to the California Department of Motor Vehicles

If the car accident you were involved in caused injury or death to anyone or the damage caused to any vehicle or property is in excess of $750, you must report the accident to the California Department of Motor Vehicles. Rather than filing the report yourself, you may also have the report filed by your insurance agent or your attorney or any other designated representative.

Regardless of who files the report, you must ensure that it is reported if it meets the above criteria. Otherwise, if you fail to report the accident to the California DMV, you risk having your license suspended. Your DMV report is required to include detailed and up-to-date information regarding your financial responsibility and any insurance coverage. The DMV may contact the insurance company to verify the information you provided is correct.

What You Should Know About Proving Your Personal Injury Case

To recover damages as a car accident, you will have to demonstrate that the other driver was negligent and that his or her negligence caused your injuries. To prove negligence, you will also have to prove that the other driver owed you a certain duty of care, and additionally, that the other driver breached his or her duty of care by their actions or omissions.

You will also need to prove that you sustained injuries due to the other driver’s breach of the duty. Finally, you must also show that your injuries were proximately caused by the actions or omissions constituting the breach of duty on behalf of the other driver. If you can show that the other driver was negligent, you might be able to recover compensation in a settlement or award for the injuries you suffered due to the accident.

What You Should Know About Your Potential for Compensation for Your Injuries

If you decide to pursue a personal injury case, your lawyer will be able to advise you of your potential for compensation which is unique to every case since each case will involve a different set of facts and injuries and treatment. Generally, you may be entitled to money to pay for your medical bills. If you are unable to work because of your injuries, you may also be entitled to lost wages. You can also be compensated for your pain and suffering, an amount which will be highly dependent on the seriousness of your injuries and the length of treatment required for your recovery. If you are married, your spouse may also be entitled to compensation as part of your case. This type of claim is a loss of consortium claim and it is designed to compensate your spouse for the loss of companionship they suffered while you were injured and during the time while you were recovering from your injuries.

Call accident lawyer Johann Hall at (707) 360-8717 or fill out our online contact form right away to discuss your potential personal injury case. With his experience and proven results, you can expect quality representation.